Thursday, April 26, 2012

Nacho Cheese

  Today I had to set up the proper portion display before lunch started. I went down to lunch thinking that it was breaded beef because that is what the schedule said. Instead we had nachos. The problem between the two is determining portions. The breaded beef comes in a patty and 1 patty is equal to 1 portion, while the nachos has chips that can't be measured well with tongs. Other than the chips everything else was easy to portion because the serving utensils (i.e. spoon) were equal to 1 portion. I displayed these above the two main serving lines.

   Somethings I noticed at lunch today were that people are taking more than the proper portion and some people don't even eat much of their food. Shortly after I had set up the displays, people started to serve themselves. I watched and noticed that not many people looked up at the displays. This was kind of upsetting because we may be potentially adding to the waste instead of decreasing it. Another thing I witnessed at lunch was a student who sat down with a big plate of chips, chili, and cheese at a table near me. He put in his earphones and looked at his food; took a couple of bites, then just stood up, grabbed his tray and left. He literally dumped a whole plate of Nachos. I think this shows that people are not seeing or paying attention to the displays. I think next week we should implement signs above the displays to attract attention to them (we talked about it in class yesterday, Amber mentioned it in the previous blog). I also think that we should create a sense of shame/guilt or some punishment to deter people from wasting a lot of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment